The Hamburg City House was built in 1828 -1829 by a burgess of Karlín, Václav Novotný, and it consisted of a three story residential building, serving also as a public house. The name refers to the German port city of Hamburg, and it was taken after the inn that used to be in the building. The inn was of a great importance due to its location near a river harbor, built in the 19th century, which connected Prague to Hamburg through the Vltava and Elbe rivers. It was also ideal because it was near to Rohanský ostrov (Rohan island) where a freight yard was built in 1873.
The house faces the Square of Karlín with its distinct empire facade the main feature of which is the triple window above the gateway. The inner yard is lined with lower buildings on either side which were originally used as stables and carriage sheds. The former warehouse building in the yard could be loaded directly from the ships anchoring in the harbor. There are vast basement premises below the house which were formerly used as a storehouse for the public house.
Right before the beginning of the 20th century, a part of the house was bought by JUDr. František Lokay, whose family then owned it until the half of the century when it was confiscated by the state and assigned to Tesla Karlín n.p. (national works), Moskva Plant. It used the buildings in the yard as garages and part of the building as a dormitory.
In 1992 the Hamburg House was returned to a granddaughter of the original owners as a part of the restitution process. However, the property required a substantial restoration which had to be repeated after the floods of 2002.
Currently, the Hamburg House is again in the hands of the descendants of the original owners and its interior is undergoing a sensitive restoration. Today, there are various non-residential premises in the house used as offices, while the ground floor serves as commercial premises. The essential part of the house is a restaurant which provides continuation of the tradition. This way, the Hamburg House still evokes its long history.